Belgaum                                                                                                          

Belgaum was the capital of Rattas, the chieftains of Saundatti in the 12th and 13th centuries.  Historically, Belgaum has seen the reigns of Shatavahanas, Chalukyas, Kadambas from Goa, Rattas, Yadavas and kings of Vijayanagara, Bahamanis and Shivaji, . The district has three distinct cultural flavours - of Karnataka, of Maharashtra and of Goa. Historically called as Venugram - village of bamboos - this district also boasts of Kittur, a symbol of the revolt against foreign rule by Rani Chennamma, belonging to the Kittur dynasty whose history dates back to 1585 AD thirty years prior to the first battle of independence. The first battle of Kittur was fought on October 23, 1824 against the British forces.  Saundatti has the famous Yellamma temple where Renuka devi is the presiding deity. 

The city of Belgaum has around 30 mosques and an equal number of temples. Kapileshwar and Ananthashayan temples and Safa masjid and Jamia masjid are very famous. Other famous places of tourist interest include

v     Khanapur - for its forest wealth and Vajra Poha waterfalls

Waterfalls at Khanapur

v     Sankeshwar famous for Vallabha Gad and a number of temples.

v     Gokak falls and a number of dams nearby

v     Saundatti

v     Londa

Other places of interest to the tourists are:

AMMANAGI :  [ 10 KMs from Hukkeri ]

                        A place of considerable antiquity. The place name is mentioned as Ammanika in the Bhoj plate of Kadamba Shantivarman. A very beautiful monument of the place is the Parashwanath Basti. The damaged inscription inside the Basti dated Saka 1179 records a gift of land to Goddess.

ARBHAVI :  [ 6 KM from Gokak ] :

                        A celebrated Veerashaiva Centre. The chief attraction of the place is the Duradundeshwar Math built in Red Sand Stone. The collosal stone structure is supported by massive pillars & has sloaped Chajjas decorated with stone chains etc.

ARJUNWAD :  [ 5 KMs from Hukkeri ] :

                        This is a village believed to be a creation of a Maratha Officer called Arjuna. There was also a very important inscription slab, near the Venkatesh Temple, which is dated 1260 of Yadava Kannara and records that during his rule two officers Charunda Shetti  & Nagarasa made grants of the village Kavilspura to one Hal Basavideva of the family of Sanganna Basava . Much importance is attached to these records by scholars as there is a mention of Basava the protagonist of Veerashaivism. Basava is mentioned as Son of Madiraja, the chief of Bagewadi in the Taradavadi 1000. The famous Arjunwad inscription & another boundary stone with writings like ‘ BasavanaKai’ etc. found here have been exhibited at Karntaka University Campus, Dharwad.

BELLAD – BAGEWADI :

                        This place has temples dedicated to Shiddeshwara [ locally stated to be as 300 years old], Vithoba etc. There is also Jain Basti called the Chavvisa Tirthankar Basti. It is a fine later Chalukyan Monument. Another image of Tirthankar has inscription of its pedestal beginning with words “ Yapaneeya “. the Basti has been renovated in the year 1277. There is also one Mosque ascribed to peer Hazrat Bakar Hussain. Away 3 KMs  from this place is a big Maruti Temple at Jaganur Village. The temple has an inscription mostly buried, said to have been brought from nearby village [ Vijayanagar, Tal. Chikodi]. The place has a fine Indo-Saracenic building [ Mosque] of considerable antiquity, now slightly damaged.

DHUPDAL :  [18 KMs from Gokak.]

                        Located on the bank of  Ghataprabha, this is a fine Picnic Spot. The dam was in 1883 across the Ghataprabha river.

GODCHINMALAKI  FALLS : [ 16 KMs from Gokak.]

                        This is a fine spot located to the west of Gokak-Konnur Road in a deep green valley. The Godchinmalkior Markendeya Falls is in a rugged valley, approachable from Godchinmalaki village at a distance of  2.5 KMs.

GOKAK : [ 65 KMs from Belgaum] :

                        Located right on the road is this celebrated tourist centre. The place is also approachable from Dhupdal Village [ 3 KM] through a low level bridge which is closed during rainy season. The river Ghataprabha after a winding course of a long route takes a leap of 52 metres over the sand stone cliff amdist a picturesque gorge of the general features of the falls, its height, shape and rapidity above are much like those of ‘ Niagara’. The falls is horse shoe shaped at crest with a flood breadth of 177 metres. Around this place in nearby villages such as Konneu, Dhupdal there are many temples in Rashtrakuta style, Vesara style & later Chalukyan style dedicated to Mahalingeshwar, Shanmukh Mahadeva etc.

HUKERI :  [ 33 KMs from Gokak ]

                        This is a place of considerable antiquity and archeological studies indicate that the place name Hukeri is supposed to have been dirived from “ Huvinkeri” [ Street of Flowers ]. During Adilshahi times good quality roses grown here were taken to Bijapur. The recorded history of the place begins from the 14th Century, there are evidences to prove the existence of the place even earlier and influence of Jainism & Shaivism.

                        The fort [ 1505 ]  & largest tomb of Hukeri constructed by Ain-ul-Mulk Jilani in 1509, fine the oldest Jamia Mosque etc, are worth seeing. The Kadam Rasul Mosque has minars [ in front ] and a big hemisperical dome in the centre. It has a stone on which the Prophet [ Rasool ] is believed to have stopped. There are also Durgas ascribed to a lady Mansahib [ with inscription 1568 ]  Hamidu’d-Din [ near Gajaabarwadi, Ganjul Bahar Mosque ] Alum Bukhari [in precincts of Jamia Masjid ], Ayesha Sultana [daughter of Firoz Shah Bahamani] etc.  The place also has old temples of Someshwar and three Jain Bastis built in 17th Century.

KALLOLI :    [11 KMs from Gokak.] :

                        The place is called Kalloli in a Ratta inscription. The place has the famous temple of Kalloleppa [ Maruti ] which is mainly of the Vodda Community.

KOCHARI : [13 KMs from Hukkeri ] :

                        The place has temples dedicated to Basavanna, Laxmi etc. laxmi Jatra is held once in 5 years during Ugadi. A damaged inscription near the Maruti Temple dated Saka 978 of Chalukya Trilokamalla registers some gift to the temple of Trikuteshwar. KONNUR :  [11 KMs rom Gkk.] :

                        The place located on the right bank of the river Ghataprabha is the earliest settlement in the District. The place name is mentioned as Kondanur and was the HQ. Of Vishaya as stated in a Copper Plate record [ from Bhoj] of Kadamba Shantiverman and in another inscription from Konnur too dated Saka 955, it is called so. The place has hundreds of passage chambers [ Megalithic]tombs to south of village over 5 acres of private land. The locals call these tombs as ‘ Pandava Houses’. And the Jains as Munivasada guhegalu.

KULGOD :   [26 KMs from Gokak.] :

                        The place is located on Gokak - Bijapur  Road. It has temple dedicated to Maryti. In the back yard of temple are two images of Tirthankaras [ Parswanath & Neminath ]. These are of Chalukyan Times.

KUNDARGI : [ Gkk. Tal. P- 1903. 32 KMs from Gkk.]

                        The village has a  huge Tamarind tree whose trunk has a cave opening measuring about 2 Sq. Metres. This is the place it is said, Adviswamy used to meditate. Across the Markendeya River is the original Kundargi Math in whose premises is the Sangameshwar Temple, a fine Chalukyan Structure.

PACHHAPUR :  [HKI. Tal. P-6659, 29 KMs from HKI.]

                        The town build by one Pacha, an officer of Adilshahi of Bijapur has a Railway Station and a tall Watch Tower on its hill fort [ Adilshahi times ] which is visible from quite a long distance. The place has Mallikarjun Temple in later Chalukyan style. Parshwanath Basti has its deity installed in 1678 AD as per inscription on its pedestal.

The Hidkal Dam is close to this place. Antiques from the sub merged villages are displayed near the dam. While excavating, many fossils have been  unearthed near the dam site.

SAPTASAGAR :[ 60 KMs from Gokak ] :

                        Here we have a prehistoric site. It is on the Bank of Krishna, and in the river bed, on the rocks hundreds of Lingas have been engraved.  This area has a biodiversity worth studying with fauna like Peacocks, Owls, Kembhoota, Monkeys, Foxes & Rabits. This is  also a wonderful cool picnic spot.

YADWAD :  [43 KMs from Gkk.]

                         The place is rich with antiquity. The place has temples dedicated to Basavanna, Harideva, Bennekrishna etc.

YOGIKOLLA :   [6 KMs from Gokak ]  :

                        The place name is derived from a valley which is in beween the horse shoe shaped rocky hill ranges. In the middle of the hill is a cave opening and has to ascend 800 to 900 steps to reach the spot where beneath a huge rock roofing is the Mallikarjun Linga and the image of Boramma [ Bramaramba] seated on a Nandi. Beneath this cave is the hidden place of origin of the stream.

Where to stay

            Inspection bungalows or travellers' bungalows are available at the following places:

v     Belgaum - Circuit house  

 

v     RMLI guest house - Belgaum

v     Saundatti guest house  

v     Londa - Inspection bungalow

v     Rest house at Bidi - Khanapur